Thursday, June 17, 2010

Nesting mode...projects, projects and more projects!

At my 35 week midwife appt a little over a week I was already dilated and my midwife gave me some orders to take it easy as to not hurry this birth along before 37 weeks...which I am now at, yay! At the birth center they really want you to be at least 37 weeks as this of course makes sense and I'm there so anytime now is fine Adelaide:)

This past week was my 2nd week off from work and I had hoped to do lots of cleaning and some gardening too. I changed my plan and decided I would take it a bit more easy and work on all the projects/crafts I have had planned and never had time to get to while working.

My first project that I forgot to post earlier is the letter for above Adelaide's bassinet in our room since she will be here for quite some time before she is moved to Azlyn's room. I plan on both of them having big A's above their beds anyways so this was just a jump start on that.




My second project, coordinating sibling shirts for the kids. I found some big Sister/brother sibling shirts online called the pecking order and they had little modern birds for each sibling on them, but of course an order of 3 shirts was not cheap and we are on a very strict unemployment budget so I decided to make something that fit our budget. I ventured into the world of Photoshop and this is the graphic I created. Each one has the name of the child above their little owl(which I thought was better for Asher since the birds were a bit girly). I think they are so cute and the kids are excited to all have matching shirts. They are obviously not the quality of a screen print and the onesie's print yellowed a bit while ironing it (it was on a different fabric than the shirts and that may be why but it's all good)


My next project was burp rags. When I went to the store to buy a pack of 12 cloth diapers I was rudely awakened by the price of them(not an outrageous price I suppose, but for white ugly diapers yes!), I decided then to put them down and make my own cute ones for half the price! I gathered my Hobby Lobby and Joann's coupons and went to work. I know the soft fabric I used on the one side may not make sense for a spit up rag but all the terry cloth fabrics and more absorbent ones were so rough for a soft baby's face so I decided while I am burping my child I would rather her lay her head on this sweet soft fabric and then I can use the cotton side for absorbency. While I finished this project I used my leftover minky fabric to make a few more flaxseed packs for heating/cooling. I have to bring rice packs(I made flax seed ones) to the birth center to keep baby warm after birth and I wanted some cute ones, glad I had leftover pink fabric:)

My final and continuing project, hair clips!! I realized while looking back at pictures of my sweet Azlyn that she had so much hair as a little baby girl that in half the pictures she looked like a boy if you couldn't see her clothing. This will NOT happen this go round. Adelaide will have a very well dressed head of hair. I made a few different types of flowers. I have so much scrap fabric saved so I tried to use what I had. One of the flowers is fabric which I ripped and rolled together. I made others out of flowers that I took apart and sewed back together....


I made more this afternoon out of fabric that I ripped, sewed in half, ruffled and then stitched together as I rolled it. I finished these this evening and my house is so dark I could not get a good picture. My next hair clips are going to be out of felt, I have felt stashed away in a craft box in my closet so I have to pull that out and start cutting. I ordered some headbands to attach these clips to today so hopefully they will arrive before she does. I made this green and purple bow below as an accessory for her go home outfit and I need something to put it on:)

That's all for now, I think my projects are pretty complete. I am moving on to cleaning and sanitizing my home and planting all my new plants this next week. They are sitting in their pots and it's a chore to keep them watered in this heat. They are begging to be planted and I hear them...I will plant you soon:)


2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me?! So creative and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I was just waiting to get done with my job so I could start on things! Hair clips are one of my new ongoing and never ending(I'm sure) projects:) Maybe I'll make an etsy shop once I get it down really good. This has taken over instead of baking...keeping off those last lbs before baby haha. I realized it's been since Azlyn's birthday week that I baked all these cakes and cupcakes and it wore me out, then I quite baking...this whole p90x Troy is doing is great but not fun for me. I keep asking him if I can make a dessert and he tells me he doesn't want anything, grrrr!! I don't want to eat the whole thing alone and I would haha:)

    ReplyDelete

Followers